[HOME] [CHURCH] [FAMILY] [HISTORY] [ON-LINE LIBRARY] [KANOUSE INDIVIDUALS] [SURNAMES]
Revised 27 July 2011
|At present, this is just a side line of the family, so I have not dedicated much research time to it. Source of Information: Mary Mestropolito and Janice Kersanty and Carol Culp plus family photos and documents|
Moses, Catherine, Pearl and daughter
Moses Michael Kanouse and his dog Fritz
Grandpa Kanouse was a family favorite. When my Uncle Ken was born, Grandpa Kanouse made a hand-made cradle for him. Moses Michael Kanouse was a Civil War veteran - he served with the 5th Michigan Cavalry under General George Armstrong Custer. He served with the 1st Brigade of the 7th Michigan Cavalry. After the Civil War, he came to Nebraska and fought Sioux and Cheyenne in Nebraska, Colorado and Wyoming. He spoke often of the privilege of marking in review before President Abraham Lincoln.
|In 1865, Moses Michael Kanouse entered the service at 16 yrs of age. His application said 18 yrs of age. He was 91 in 1937 in Omaha when he was asked by the President to attend a memorial for civil war vets at Gettysburg 's 75th Ann. which he did not attend. He was the 11th civil war vet living in 1937. He was with Custer in Anas until Custer went to S.D.. 16Yrs of age he was in charge of the Mules. July 6 1938 . Had a farm north of Florence. He married Catherine Carr Osborn 2 12 1908. He had 1 or 2 sisters and several brothers who all had biblical names. He is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Omaha, Nebraska.|
|Lucille and Katherine Kanouse and friend, Patsy Hahn||Pearl Kanouse as a child|
Ancestors of Moses Michael Kanouse
Generation No. 1
1. Moses Michael Kanouse, born April 15, 1846 in Pennsylvania; died January 04, 1941 in Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska. He was the son of 2. Abraham Kanouse and 3. Elizabeth Unknown. He married (1) Catherine Carr February 12, 1908 in St. Phillips Church, Florence, Nebraska. She was born November 05, 1846 in Alhalahana Farm, Co. Newtownesend, Kerry, Ireland, and died June 06, 1914 in Omaha, Douglas, NB. She was the daughter of Richard Carr and Joanna Welsh.
Generation No. 2
2. Abraham Kanouse, born Bet. 1799 - 1804 in Chester Township, Newhampton, Pennsylvania. He was the son of 4. Fredrick Kanauss and 5. Sarah Grohman. He married 3. Elizabeth Unknown in Greenwood, Columbia County, Pennsylvania.
3. Elizabeth Unknown, born May 02, 1808 in Upper Milford Lehigh Pennsylvania.
Children of Abraham Kanouse and Elizabeth Unknown are:
Generation No. 3
4. Fredrick Knauss, born April 21, 1768 in Upper Milford Lehigh Pennsylvania; died Bet. 1833 - 1838 in Columbia County, Pennsylvania. He was the son of 8. Michael Knauss and 9. Anna Elizabeth Romig. He married 5. Sarah Grohman July 10, 1792 in Schoeneck, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
5. Sarah Grohman, born Bef. 1772 in Schoeneck, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She was the daughter of 10. Johann Rudolph Grohman and 11. Catharina Unknown.
Children of Fredrick Knauss and Sarah Grohman are:
Generation No. 4
8. Michael Knauss, born July 26, 1743 in Upper Milford, North Hampton, Pennsylvania; died February 03, 1820 in Pennsylvania. He married 9. Anna Elizabeth Romig September 10, 1765 in Emmaus Lehigh County PA.
9. Anna Elizabeth Romig, born March 18, 1743/44 in Macungie Macungie Twp Lehigh PA. She was the daughter of 18. Johann Fredrich Romig and 19. Catharine Siegfried.
Children of Michael Knauss and Anna Romig are:
10. Johann Rudolph Grohman, born Abt. 1754; died Bet. 1810 - 1820. He was the son of 20. Johann Christopher Grohman and 21. Barbara Herdlein. He married 11. Catharina Unknown.
11. Catharina Unknown, born Abt. 1754; died Bef. 1810.
Children of Johann Grohman and Catharina Unknown are:
Generation No. 5
18. Johann Fredrich Romig, born Abt. 1721. He married 19. Catharine Siegfried.
19. Catharine Siegfried, born Abt. 1722.
Child of Johann Romig and Catharine Siegfried is:
20. Johann Christopher Grohman, born Abt. 1733. He married 21. Barbara Herdlein.
21. Barbara Herdlein, born Abt. 1733.
Child of Johann Grohman and Barbara Herdlein is: