Revised 17 May 2017


Benjamin Franklin Sanborn (no dates given) (Memorialized in the "Good Shepherd" window in Shatto Chapel.)
Esther Sanborn (1843 - 1907) (Memorialized in the "Good Shepherd" window in Shatto Chapel.)
Mrs. Jennie Pearson Sanford (ca 1856 to June 1941).  Mrs. Sanford and her husband, Rev. Arthur Willis Sanford, spent 40 years as missionaries to Japan.
Peter Sarup, Barrister
Wilbur Cyrus Sawyer (Born 8 May 1887 - Essex junction, Vermont).  Mr. Sawyer was a Civil engineer by trade.  He was the son of Frederick Parker and Francis Axa (Bates) Sawyer.  He graduated from high school at Burlington, Vermont in 1896.  he graduated with a B S cum laude in Civil engineering from the University of Vermont in 1900.  Three years following his graduation, he was employed as an instruction in drawing and surveying at the University of Vermont.  He entered the Hydrographic Branch of the U. S. Geological Survey as an engineering aid.   At the end of six months on the job, he was promoted to the position of Assistant Engineer.  he held that position with the Geological Survey and U. S. Reclamation Service in Washington DC; in Pennsylvania; in West Virginia; in Maryland; in Oregon; and in California.  Upon arriving in California in 1907, he worked for the City Engineers Office at Los Angeles.  He was, in addition to his profession, in association with his father in the manufacture of artificial stone mantels, porches, chimneys, fire proof bungalows, garages, etc.  he was an associate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers; a member of Phi Betta Kappa and Sigma Nu fraternities and a Congregationalist.
Amanda Scott- Founding member of First Congregational Church of Los Angeles.  The woman without whom First Church might never have existed.  In 1867 Amanda Scott and her small circle of six friends founded the First Congregational Church  Born Amanda Wallace, in Cadiz, Ohio, she traveled to California with her brother, the late Judge A. O. Wallace, by way of the Panama Canal, arriving in Los Angeles in December 1859.  Here she met her future husband, John Glenney Scott.  They were married in 1862.  The Scott family were the second white family to take up residence on the east side of Los Angeles.  It has been said that First church was born out of a desire of Mrs. Scott to have her children raised in the Congregational tradition.  (See also Arundel P. Watt, also identified as a charter member of First Congregational Church.)
Dee Charles Scott 27 Feb 1869 - 1961.  Mr. Scott was employed as a printer by the Los Angeles Times.  Dr. James W. Fifield Jr. presided at his services
Blanche Ebert Seaver (14 September 1891 - 14 April 1994), musician, teacher, wife, philanthropist.  Born Blanch Ebert, in Chicago, Illinois.  Blanche's parents were Norwegian immigrants.  Blanche was considered a musical prodigy.    According to their life story, Blanche is said to have started playing the piano when she was so small that she had to be lifted onto the piano stool for recitals.  One day at school, the teacher who accompanies their class for music lessons became ill and the lessons were to be cancelled, but little Blanche told the teacher she could play the songs, and so she did.  Blanche's teacher was so impressed that she requested and received permission to take Blanche to Hull House to audition to take piano lessons.  Blanche had her audition and impressed them so greatly that arrangements were made for transportation for Blanche to go to Hull House for lessons twice a week.  By the age of 13, Blanche  had  pupils of her own.  She was a much-sought-after accompanist, vocal coach and pianist. She graduated from the Chicago Music School in 1911.  In 1915, she moved to Los Angeles, where she taught music at the Eagan School of Drama and Music. 

While Frank did his service to his country, blanche wrote the first of several songs she was to compose.  Her first piece was entitled "Calling Me Back To you", which was a ballad and was later made famous by John McCormack, who recorded others of her pieces.  Blanche made a special arrangement of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" which was played in February of 1919 by the Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Leopold Stokowski, with Noah Swayne, baritone, and the Orpheus Club of forth voice, which concert was a memorial concert honoring Theodore Roosevelt.  This same piece had been previously performed by Estelle Heartt Dreyfus with the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra.

Mr. and Mrs. Seaver's first act of philanthropy was the founding of an orphanage in Mexico City, where Mr. Seaver was overseeing Doheny's oil drilling operations in the 1920s.  From that time forward, the Seavers were major donors to youth organizations and educational institutions in the Los Angeles area.  

After the death of her husband in 1964, Mrs. Seaver gave millions of dollars to the then new university, Pepperdine, which was previously located in South-Central Los Angeles.  With this money, the University was able to move to the nearby coastal city of Malibu, California, where they built a liberal arts college named for Mr. Seaver.  Mrs. Seaver remained active in university affairs and held a lifetime seat on Pepperdine's Board of Regents.  In 1980, the university bestowed an honorary doctorate on Blanche.

It was thanks to the generous donation of the Seavers that Pilgrim School, an adjunct of the First Congregational Church of Los Angeles was founded. The number of other schools and philanthropical organizations which hold a like debt of gratitude to the Seaver's generosity are numerous.  

Mrs. Seaver was quite active at First Church.  It was with great sadness when she passed away at the age of 102.  Her dedication to youth and education became her passion and her life and for that, she will always be remembered. 

(Source for Mr and Mrs. Seaver's life were their obituaries in the historic newspapers of the day, several brief biographies published from different sources,  and a book on the life of Mr and Mrs Seaver, "The Seaver Story" by Jane Werner Watson, published by grateful recipients of the Seaver family, Pomona College, in 1960)

Frank Roger Seaver (12 April 1883 to October 1964), Lawyer and philanthropist.  Husband of Blanche Ebert Seaver.  Mr. Seaver was the son of Carlton and Mary Estella (Samuels) Seaver.  His father, Carlton moved to California in 1880--born in New York, married in Iowa.  These were the days of land boom in the Pomona area.  The Santa Fe Railroad from the east was close to completion and the village of Claremont was bustling.  

Frank Seaver, along with the other children in that area attended the Claremont school, which was held in a store building facing the railroad tracks.  The senior Seavers wanted their children to have a better education, so they moved i 1892 to a home on Holt Avenue in Pomona.  This home was a focal place for many of the other young people in the area.  Frank graduated from Pomona High School in 1901.  In high school, he was Captain of the High School Cadets.  From there, he went to Pomona college, as did all of his brothers and sisters.  Frank was already leaning towards a position of leadership in his early days.  he served as the treasurer of the freshman class and was a member of the freshman fraternity, known as "The Knights of the Dagger".  In his sophomore year, he served as secretary-treasurer of the college debating team and treasurer of the Athletic Association.  In his junior year, he was manager of the football team, and organized a group which helped prepare the college athletic field for their games.  in his senior year, he was a participant in the organization of the Associated Students of Pomona College and served as its first president.  The old fraternity, "Knights of the Dagger" became the Kappa Delta fraternity, a group which attracted top college athletes.

In 1903, Frank joined the national Guard and did his training in camp at Atascadero.  he continued with this for three years, climaxed by a month of police duty with his unit following the San Francisco earthquake.  Their unit was charged with preventing looting and disorder and were under orders to shoot to kill anyone who was caught.  So impressed was Mr. Seaver by this experience that he began reading for the law.  He passed the California Bar and was admitted into practice in the fall of 1906.  Upon his return from Cambridge, he worked briefly for the law office of George Sanders.   He then opened his own law office in the Hollingsworth building.   1911, he formed a partnership with his brother, Byron Dick Seaver.  As an attorney, he was attorney for the Mutual Building & Loan Association of Pomona, California; the Municipal Corporation of Lordsburg, California, he Western precipitation Company of Los Angeles. Although admitted to practice law before the Supreme Court of Los Angeles, Mr. Seaver indicated that he had never tried a case there.  

In 1913, Frank joined the California naval Militia as a Seaman 2nd Class.  He promoted to the position of Ensign, then in 1914, became a Lieutenant Senior Grade, in command of the newly formed Ninth Division of the California Naval Militia, which he helped organize.  His group was involved in frequent short cruises for drilling  the gun crews, practicing navigation and standing watch.  he served on the cruiser Marblehead, the torpedo boat Farragut, and the destroyers Hopkins and Hull.  At the outbreak of the war, he served on the cruiser Pueblo.  Frank achieved the rank of Master mariner in the merchant and became eligible to command ocean-going vessels of any kind in the world.  

During WWI, with the advent of airplanes into the world, Frank put his legal training and organizational experience to work and got a permit in 1915 to set up the Aviation Section of the California militia, one of the first such organizations in the country.  This group was supplied with two airplanes by the United States Government for training purposes.  They met for instruction at the State Armory in Los Angeles' Exposition Park and flew out of Gardena Aviation Field.  It was here that Frank Seaver first met the Doheney family.  Mr. Doheney and his son, Ned, joined the Naval Reserves with Frank.  Frank indicated that he never learned to fly, but as part of the licensing procedure stood on the ground and observed the pilots abilities to go through the required maneuvers and to make sure the pilots could land the planes properly on their mark.

The story of the courtship of Frank Seaver and Blanche Seaver should not be ignored as it is a cute story.  Frank first noticed Blance on a street trolley ride back in 1915.  Because he was with a client, he could not follow her when she left the car.  A few weeks alter, Seaver and his friend, Allen Archer, attended a Gilbert and Sullivan rehearsal and who should be their vocal coach, but Miss Blanche Ebert.  Back in those days, it was improper to approach a lady until you were properly introduced.  Mr Archer implied that he knew Miss Ebert and would arrange an introduction.  The truth was, though, that Mr. Archer didn't know her at all and could not follow through with the proposed arrangement, so he telephoned Miss Ebert's studio and signed up for a series of piano lessons to get to know her.  After several weeks of floundering through, Mr. Archer finally got up the nerve to ask for permission to make the introduction, which he did.  The Seavers were married 26 September of 1916 in Chicago's North Shore Congregational Church, that being Miss Ebert's home in childhood.  Frank's unit was called up only six months after their marriage

The Seaver and Doheney families got alone well.  During one of their visits, Mr. Doheny asked Mr. Seaver when he could be released by the Navy.  Mr. Doheney, upon learning that Frank was in charge of processing the release papers and could sign himself out, suggested that Frank do so and come work or him, which Frank did.

In the 1920s, Mr. Doheny asked the Seavers to go to Norway to check on some ships that had not been returned after the war.  This being the country of Mrs. Seavers ancestors, she was anxious to go, but the trip failed to materialize as it was decided that the negotiations could be more effectively handled through Washington and New York.  

He was next asked to go to Mexico to work on one of the divisions of Doheny's Pan American Petroleum company, the Huasteca Petroleum Company.  Frank agreed and went down to act as that company's lawyer and general representative in Mexico.  In this capacity, he was given permission to develop local markets for their petroleum products.  Frank soon had contracts to supply all the fuel oil used by the Mexican National Railways.  Gasoline sales were difficult to promote because of the scarcity of paved roads. Mr. Seaver, not undaunted, convince the Mexican Government to undertake a road paving program, starting with Mexico City and working outward into the countryside.  he was instrumental in bringing the first up-to-date service stations south of the border.  As the system of paved roads expanded, mr. Seaver visited other towns along the routes, secured property rights and built more service stations.  It was the firm belief that in order to fit into the local community, Americans should learn the language and enter into the social life of that area, so Frank and Blanche hired a private teacher and learned to both speak and read in Spanish.  Blanche was deeply touched by the plight of the many homeless children of Mexico City and with the help of friends, organized the Sociedad Humanitaria de Damas para Niños sin Hogar, to help homeless boys off of the streets.   A later recipient of her good will was the Guadalupe Youth Center of Canoga Park, which was founded and organized by mrs. William W. Orcutt, providing a recreation center for Mexican-American youths.

He served as attorney and director of Wayside Press of Los Angeles.  He was secretary of home Printing Company; Vice President of C. Seaver Company.  He later became president of the Pomona College Alumni Association.  he was a delegate to Republican conventions ( for the Assembly, the District and the County); He was a member of the Board of Freeholders for drafting - Los Angeles County Charter 1912;   he was a member of the Board of Trade of Pomona; the Chamber of Commerce; the University Club of Los Angeles; the Harvard Club of Southern California; a Mason; a Shriner; a Republican and a member of the First Congregational Church of Los Angeles

(Source for Mr and Mrs. Seaver's life were their obituaries in the historic newspapers of the day, several brief biographies published from different sources,  and a book on the life of Mr and Mrs Seaver, "The Seaver Story" by Jane Werner Watson, published by grateful recipients of the Seaver family, Pomona College, in 1960) 

Sarahelen H Selby, (1 Dec 1915 - 4 April 2004)   a member of the Women's Association and Altar Guild of First church.
Hannah J. (Hartley) Shaw aka Anne (wife of Judge Lucien Shaw) Mrs. Lucien Shaw, of Los Angeles, wife of Judge Shaw of the State Supreme Court, disappeared in the war of the elements that raged in San Francisco.  At day dawn Thursday morning, April 19, the Shaw apartments, on Pope street, San Francisco, were burned. Mrs. Shaw fled with the refugees to the hills.

Judge Lucien Shaw went north on that first special on Wednesday that cleared for the Oakland mole.

Thursday morning at daybreak he reached his apartments on Pope street. Flames were burning fiercely. A friend told him that his wife had fled less than fifteen minutes before. She carried only a few articles in a hand satchel.

For two days and nights Judge Shaw wandered over hills and through the parks about San Francisco seeking among the 200,000 refugees for his wife.

During that heart-breaking quest, according to his own words, he had "no sleep, little food and less water." At noon Saturday he gave up the search and hurried back to Los Angeles, hoping to find that she had arrived before him. He hastened to his home on West Fourth street." 

(Source: San Francisco History Website, Chapter VI)  She was later found.

Lucien Shaw.  (March 1, 1845 - March 19, 1933)  Born in Indiana in 1845, Mr. Shaw was admitted to the Indiana State Bar in 1868, in the city of Bloomfield. He was educate din the common schools and at Indianapolis Law College.  He came to California in 1883 and engaged in the practice of the law at Fresno County; admitted to the California State Bar in October of 1885;  removed to Los Angeles in 1886.  He went on to become  Judge of the Superior Court of Los Angeles and was elected Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in 1903, which position he held until elevated to the position of Chief Justice in 1921.   (elected for the full term in 1890 and reelected in 1896; elected Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, November 4, 1902.) Upon retirement from the bench, he joined the Board of Directors of Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Company.  His son, Hartley, was also a judge..  He joined First Congregational church in 1899.  In 1906, he received news that his wife, Anna, was among the missing victims of the San Francisco earthquake.  (See below)

"He was personally and deeply affected by the San Francisco earthquake of April 18, 1906. A wire service story on April 25 of that year, emanating from Los Angeles, reported:

“Justice Lucien Shaw of the State Supreme Court has received advices that his wife, reported among the missing, has been found at the Presidio in San Francisco, safe and well. For two days after the disaster Justice Shaw, who sped north from here on a special train, searched San Francisco for Mrs. Shaw, returning here, hopeless, on Sunday.”

"A 1906 recitation of the San Francisco earthquake by Hubert D. Russell told of Shaw’s frantic search for his wife. Russell was apparently unaware of the “happy ending” to the story, writing:

“Thursday morning at daybreak [Shaw] reached his apartments [in San Francisco] on Pope street. Flames were burning fiercely. A friend told him that his wife had fled less than fifteen minutes before. She carried only a few articles in a hand satchel.

“For two days and nights Judge Shaw wandered over hills and through the parks about San Francisco seeking among the 200,000 refugees for his wife.

“During that heart-breaking quest, according to his own words, he had ‘no sleep, little food and less water.’ At noon Saturday he gave up the search and hurried back to Los Angeles, hoping to find that she had arrived before him. He hastened to his home on West Fourth street.

“ ‘Where’s mother?’ was the first greeting from his son, Hartley Shaw.

Judge Shaw sank fainting on his own doorstep. The search for the missing woman was continued but proved fruitless.” 

(Source:  Metropolitan News-Enterprise). Please click on the link to read the entire article, which is more political in nature.)  Dr. Shaw and Mrs. Shaw were later united.  He passed away in 1933  in the city of Glendale, California.

Elizabeth Scheld.  Born 6 January 1898 in Nebraska.  Died 6 August 1995 in Los Angeles.  Worked with the Christian Education programs of First Congregational Church.
Hovey L. Shepherd, Physician.  Dr. shepherd was born 16 August 1879 in Belfast, Maine, the son of Freeman W. and Martha (Dodge) Shepherd.  he attended public schools in Belfast, Maine.  In 1888, he graduated from Kent's hill Seminary.  he then studied at Boston University, receiving a PH. B in 1882 and then attended medical School at Boston University, from which he received an MD in 1895.  He practiced medicine in Springfield, Massachusetts from 1895 - 18897 in Winchester, Massachusets from 1897 - 1909.  He moved with his family to Los Angeles in 1909.  Dr. Shepherd was president of the Los Angeles County homeopathic Medical Society; a member of the California Homeopathic Medical society, the Sierra Madre and Gamut Clubs; was a 32nd degree Mason, a member of the Shrine and Delta Tau Delta fraternity.  He was also a Congregationalist.
General M. H. Sherman (abt 1854 - Sep 1932), city builder and Electric Rail pioneer and philanthropist.  General Sherman was said to be managed by the integrity of his principal and the largeness of  his heart extending to the ability to make friends of both his associates and his competitors.  General Sherman is best remembered for his efforts to provide quick electric transportation to Los Angeles.  During his lifetime, his interests also extended to almost every advanced enterprise concerning the expansion of the city and its resources.  He was a strong believer in secret giving.  Among his outside activities, he was a member of the Symbolic Blue Lodge of Masons, of Al Malzikah Temple of the Shrine, of the Royal Arch Masons and was a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason.
James Shigeta (1933-2014. Well-known Asian American actor and friend of First Church. Although James was not a member of First Church, he frequently attended our services, sitting quietly in the back rows of pews and enjoying the peace and serenity of the music. There are many biographical reviews of James on line and I will not re-iterate them here. James lent his beautiful speaking voice to some of our services as a special reader, an act which was greatly appreciated by his fellow attendees. He was a gentle man and more specifically, a gentleman. Those of us who had the privilege of speaking with him will greatly miss him. He had great fame, but he always displayed great humility for his God-given talents.
Clarence Vernon Siegner. 1938 to 20 Dec 2016. Dr. Siegner lived a long and full life. He joined the U.S. Coast Guard and Geodetic Survey in 1938, surveying unexplored areas of the coast of Alaska. He then went to work for Boeing by night, attending college at the Seattle Pacific University during the day. Drafted into the Ary in 1942, Vern served as part of the 60th Depot Repair Squad,, assigned to New Guineau as support for the A-26 and B-25 aircraft that few combat missions. They later were moved to Blak Island during the invasion of the Phillipines.

Vern received a BA degree from the Central Washington State College and taught in that area for many years. e received his MS degree in 1955 from Oregon State and then went on to receive an Ed. D from the University of Northern Colorado. He taught at both Colorado State University and at Peru State College. While at Peru, he became the Dean of the School of Applied Arts and Technology and wrote a textbook called "Art Metals". He left Colorado to move to California, where the taught for Southern Illinois University at Norton Airforce Base and evaluated courses for the US Navy in San Diego. Vern joined First Church late in life. He was deeply respected by all and always had time to share his knowledge and expertise and to encourage young people in their educational pursuits.
Mattie Ballou Skinner (1869 - 1911)  (Memorialized in the "Good Shepherd" window in Shatto Chapel.)
Dr. John Smallman (1886-1937), beloved Choral Director of First Church and a leader in musical circles for more than twenty five years.  he was conducting a performance of Handel's "Messiah" moments before his death.  he had just read the words, "His yoke is easy and his burden light" moments before.  The Soprano, Betty Boldrich Beech, had just completed her solo, "Come unto Him all ye that labor and are heavy laden and He will give you rest."  Dr. Smallman rose to lift his baton for the final number and collapsed.  He was taken to his offices, but was found beyond aid.  Organist, Clarence Kellog, took u the baton and Mr. John Winslow took Mr. Kellog's place at the organ, whereupon they completed the concert.  At the close of the oratorio, Dr. Fifield quietly announced Dr. Smallman's death.

Dr. Smallman was born in Leavington, England 9 January 1886.  He came to the United States in the 1890's and studied under Emil Mollenhour of Boston.  Dr. Smallman conducted the Handel and Hayden Society in Boston.  Upon arriving in Los Angeles, he became a soloist with the Philharmonic Orchestra in 1919.  he organized an A Capella Choir and directed it on a national tour in 1829.  He was Director of Choral Activities at the University of Southern California, where he headed the A Capella choir and glee clubs.  he also conducted the Cecilian Singers and the Los Angeles Oratorio Society.  Dr. Smallman is best remembered at First Church as the founder of the Los Angeles Bach Festival.  In the forecourt of the church are two lamp posts with surround seats dedicated to Dr. Smallman's memory.

Esther M Smith. Died 1 October 1991. Glendale, California.
Mary J. (Mrs. Brainard) Smith.  (died January 1900)  Mrs. Smith was a former resident of Brooklyn, New York.  She was well-known in this city for her benevolent work.  She helped to found the Flower Festival Home and the Lark Ellen Home for News and Working Boys.  She was a Charter member and second vice-president of that group.  She was sr. vice-president of the Stanton Relief Corps and Chaplain of the Los Angeles hive, No. 1, l. O. T. M.  She was an active worker in the Congregational Sunday School and the church societies. 
Marjorie Smith.  Marjorie was the Cathedral Choir designated choir mother for many years.  She could hear a button snap from across the room and catch it before it hit the floor and have it sewn back on before the service began, and yet she wore hearing aids for most of the years I knew her.  She studied millenary arts in Paris at one of the major design houses and sewed a great deal of her things by hand rather than by machine.  When her daughter was expecting the first grandchild, they were living in a remove area of Alaska and had no means of obtaining a layette.  Marjorie lovingly stitched an entire wardrobe, including hand-hemmed diapers for the baby and was able to get a local pilot to fly the clothing in just in time for the new arrival to enjoy them.  No-one ever visited Marjorie's home and left empty handed.  Her specialty was aprons and handy scrubbies.   Dr. Fifield was her idol.  Marjorie was a devout church woman and when she passed, her shoes could never be filled.
Rosamond Smith
Winston Smoyer - Died 26 January 2001. Alhambra, California. Winn was a member of the Church for well over 50 years.  He graced our Ushers group for many years, and was a staunch supporter of Cedar Lake Camp.  Winn was a forester and loved to give tours of the wilderness areas for those interested.  He was also our advisor on keeping our camp forests healthy.  He loved the church and its people. 
Thomas Smyth Southwick, Accountant.  Born in Hull Yorkshire, England 27 June 1858, Mr. Southwick was the son of Thomas and Grace Jane (Gilchrist).  He married Martha Gertrude Schott in 1903.  Mr. Southwick attended Mayes Private Academy; and Harrow Public School in London.  he engaged in the grocery business in South Africa from 1879 - 1896.  He was manager of a Trust Company in Hawaii from 1898 - 1899; worked as a cashier at the California Fresh Fruit Exchange 1900 - 1901; the California Vegetable Union 1905 - 1908; and accountant-treasurer for Kingsley, Mason & Collins beginning in 1908.  Mr. Southwick was a Mason, a Republican and a Congregationalist.
Frank Carr Spalding, specialist in Investments.  Mr. Spalding was born in Kansas City, kansas 2 November 1869, the son of James F. and Jeanette (Carr) Spalding.  He married Clara L. Salisbury in 1895.  Mr. Spaulding was educated in the public schools and attended Spaldings Commercial College of Kansas City.  he then attended the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor Michigan.  he engaged in newspaper work as editor and publisher of the "Business Educator" in Kansas City.  he was manager of Spaulding Printing & Publishing company; a business manager and instructor of business practice in Spalding's Commercial College; Former secretary of the Surety Trust Company; Former Secretary for the Southwestern Trust Company; Former director of the Central Avenue Bank of Kansas City; President of Fellows Boat Works; Director of the Chamber of Commerce from 1909 - 1911; Director and secretary of the Realty Board in 1911; Commodore of the San Diego Yacht Club, 1912; Treasurer of the YMCA 1911-1912; Author of "Stenographer's Business Practice,"  A Member of Sons of the American Revolution; the Order of Panama, Cuyamaca Country and Rotary Clubs of San Diego and a Congregationalist.
William R Staats.  Born in Orange, Connecticut 8 August 1867, William Staats was the son of Rev. Henry T. and Mary J. (Macy) Staats.  He married Helen I. Watson in 1899.  Mr. Staats was educated in the public schools of Bristol Connecticut and in Wesleyan Academy at Wilbraham, Massachusetts.  He moved to Los Angeles in 1886 and engaged in the real estate and mortgage loan business with the firm of Wood & Bradbury at Pasadena.  After one year's connection with this firm, Mr. Staats started in business for himself as an investment banker and broker, handling real estate, insurance, mortgage loans, stocks and bonds. Mr. Staats was prominently identified with financial movements of the southwest and specialized in bond and investment securities.  He established bond houses in San Francisco and Los Angeles;  he was , President of the Wm. R. Staats Company; Director and large stockholder in the Los Angeles Trust & Savings Bank, Title Insurance & Trust Company of Southern California, Edison Company, Union Oil Company of California; the California Industrial Company; the Pasadena Ice Company; California Delta Farms, Inc; the Pasadena Lake Vineyard land & Water company of Pasadena & the Mt. Wilson Toll Road Company; the Oak Grove Improvement Company; Oak Knoll Company. He was a member of Annandale Country, Overland, Valley Hunt and Midwick Country clubs of Pasadena.  A Mason, a member of the Jonathan, California & Bolsa Chica Gun Clubs of Los Angeles and a Congregationalist.
Peggy (Mrs. Ed) Stevens. Died 19 August 1992. Ventura, California.
William L Stevens, (1874 to April 1941)  founder of the Crown Laundry and Cleaning Company.  Mr. Stevens had been a Los Angeles resident for about 35 years and was still active in his business at the time of his death.  Mr. Stevens was Past President of the Los Angeles Lions Club and Past President of the Lark Ellen Home for Boys.  He was also prominent in activities of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce and the Masonic Lodge.
Jeanie Stinchfield (Mrs. Herbert). Died 25 December 1992. Alhambra, California
Dr. Henry E Storrs (3 November 1841 to May 1926)  Born in Holston, Massachusetts to the Rev. john and Melancia (Bowker) Storrs, Dr. Storrs married Julie A. Arnold in 1871.  Dr. Storrs lived in Los Angeles for forty two years.  He studied at the Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Massachusetts in 1869.  Dr. Storrs graduated from Amhearst College with an AB in 1864, then took his graduate degree at Gottinger, Germany in 1869 from whence he received a ph d and AM.  He became a professor of Natural Sciences at Illinois College, Jacksonville, Illinois in 1870.  Dr. Storrs came to Los Angeles in 1887.  At the age of 60, Mr. Storrs returned to school to study law and was licensed to practice law in the Courts of California.  Dr. Stores was an active member of First Congregational Church for forty-two years, serving both as a Deacon and a Trustee.  (Note:  He was one of the trustees named in the obituary of Gen. Otis at the time of that funeral.)
LaRita Stoufer.  Much loved by her family and friends for her everlasting smile and strong spirit.
Mary Stouffer - Died 11/22/1999 in Arizona
Ruth Hendrix Stoufer. June 21, 1916 to 23 November 1999.
Emerson Stoskopf
Mary Alice Sturdy.  Born 22 August 1909 in Tennessee.  Died 19 August 1996 in Los Angeles.  Ms. Sturdy assisted Dr. Royal Davis in researching the music history section of his book, "Light on a Gothic Tower."